Friday, May 13, 2011

Kix Brooks Solo Album Half Done

Photo courtesy of Sony BMG Nashville
Kix Brooks is making progress with writing some new music of his own.


“I’ve got probably half of an album done,” Brooks said. “But I’m actually growin’ a little scruff here. I’m fixin’ to start a new movie in a few weeks, and I just finished another movie which has kind of slowed down my recording process, but my label seems to be very supportive about my movie roles. They’re not in a hurry, and I’m not either, honestly.”


“The new movie is called ‘To Kill a Memory,” he continues. “They’re actually building a cast right now. The movie I just got finished with is called ‘Thrift Store Cowboy.’ It’s kind of a darker version [of the original]. It’s fun, it really is. I was actually a theatre major in college, so it’s really fun to get around to try to remember some of those skills.”


Brooks says he’s got nothing but kind words to send Dunn’s way, regarding this year’s solo ACM performance and the release of ‘Bleed Red‘: “I think he’s doin’ great. He’s doin’ good and I’m happy for him.”


“He was really ready to just take the time and run on into his solo career, and I’m a little more inclined to take a step back and scratch my head while I’m working on this. We’re not the same guy!” he adds.


Brooks says he’s thrilled to be watching the blossoming careers of the country newcomers whom he’s worked with thanks to ‘American Country Countdown.’


“It’s a little different, not touring with Brooks and Dunn after 20 years of doing it,” he admits. “But I’m still doing quite a few shows right now. I’m doing the on the road series with American Country Countdown, working with any number of different acts: Luke Bryan, Craig Morgan, Lee Brice, Thompson Square.”


If you happen to be one of those lucky new acts on the rise, Brooks has one piece of solid advice: “Believe in what you’re doing, and keep doing it. Perseverance seems to be the common denominator on anyone that’s ever made it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment