An all-star tribute album honoring the late Waylon Jennings is set to hit stores on February 8, 2011. 'The Music Inside: A Collaboration Dedicated to Waylon Jennings, Vol. I' features a host of country music's finest, including supergroup Alabama, who reunited specifically for the project.
Three volumes total will be released throughout 2011, with the first including Waylon covers by Jamey Johnson, Sunny Sweeney, Trace Adkins, Randy Houser, and Waylon's widow, Jessi Colter. Every performance on the compilation earned the blessing of Jessi and her only son with Waylon, country-rocker Shooter Jennings.
The first single from the Waylon tribute album will be Alabama's rendition of 'Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way,' which will be released to country radio stations on November 29.
"What an opportunity for us to go back in the studio, play and record live like we used to, and pay tribute to a true legend in music; not in country music ... in music period," says Randy Owens of Alabama.
"This is probably as close as I'll get to being a real outlaw," adds Alabama's Teddy Gentry. "Thanks Waylon!"
"Waylon was one of a kind," continues Alabama's Jeff Cook. "We did a lot of his songs in our early years. It's nice to be a part of this tribute album!"
To preview Alabama's version of 'Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way' and for more information on the tribute album, visit Waylon's website.
The Music Inside: A Collaboration Dedicated to Waylon Jennings, Vol. I' Track Listing:
1. 'This Time' – Jamey Johnson
2. 'Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way' – Alabama
3. 'I'm a Ramblin' Man' – Randy Houser
4. 'Belle of the Ball' – Shooter Jennings
5. 'Good Hearted Woman' – Sunny Sweeney and Jessi Colter
6. 'Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out of Hand' – James Otto
7. 'Just to Satisfy You' – John Hiatt with Waylon Jennings
8. 'Rose in Paradise' – Kris Kristofferson and Patty Griffin
9. 'You Ask Me To' – Trace Adkins
10. 'Go Down Rockin'' – Waylon Jennings
(Bonus Track) 'The Wurlitzer Prize (I Don't Want To Get Over You)' – Chanel Campbell